Indian Health Services (IHS) requires all uninsured patients to apply for alternative resources as a Medicaid, Child Health Plus and Family Health Plus.
Even if your income may be too high to qualify for such programs, it is still a requirement of IHS, due to limited funding, that every uninsured patient submit an application.
We must bill insurance companies whenever possible in order to cover all services provided.
We Screen for Alternate Resources:
- Child Health Plus
- Family Health Plus
- Healthy New York
- Access New York
Patients applying must have an email address when applying through the New York State Market Place for Insurance.
With Direct Care only, you are only eligible for services here at the health centers.
If you are referred off-site for any type of medical appointment, we encourage you to contact Patient Benefits for assistance; especially if you are Direct Care only.
Any off-site appointment, including Emergency Room (ER) visits, will be the patients' responsibility.
Identity - Photo ID*
*Required for those over 18 who are applying
- Driver's License
- School Photo ID
- Tribal ID
- Social Security Card
Date of Birth/Citizenship (one of the following)
- Birth Certificate
- Tribal Certificate
Residency (one of the following)
- Utility Bill (Gas, electric or phone)
- Lease or letter from landlord
- Postmarked envelope
Income/Wages (All that apply)
Last 30 days of pay stubs or letter from employer on company letterhead, signed and dated
- Bi-weekly - 2 stubs*
- Weekly - 4 stubs*
- *stubs must show pay date, pay period, hours, rate of pay
- Self-employment- need last year's FULL income tax return (Schedule C, 1040 and all other forms. Page 2 of 1040 must be signed.)
- SSI/SSID/Survivor's Benefits (award letters)
- Unemployment/Worker's Compensation
- Court agreement
- Child support collection
- Unit stubs/statement
- Letter from person providing support
Anyone currently unemployed, who has worked in the last six months to one year, must apply for unemployment. You can call the New York State Unemployment Office at 1-888-209-8124 or visit the New York State Department of Labor website at: www.labor.state.ny.us
Resources (Anything marked yes on resource portion of application)
- Copy of current bank statements
- Insurance Policies
Other Documentation (all that apply)
- Proof of pregnancy
- Termination of previous insurance
- Child care cost statement or receipt
- Cattaraugus County applicants: proof of motor vehicle registration
- Custody papers (if applicable)
- Copy of last three months'' medical bills