Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH)
What does this mean?
A Patient Centered Medical Home is a system of care in which a team of Health Professionals work together to provide all you health care needs.
You will have your own team that includes medical professionals, friends or family members (if you wish) and most importantly - "you"
The health care system can be confusing. Many people see a lot of doctors, require a lot of tests and feel lost in the system. Your team will help you guide you through the system. The medical home is a way for you to be informed and involved in your health care decisions.
You may have noticed...
We have created care teams. We are working very hard to make sure you see the same team every time you come in for a visit. Continuity to the same team means better care.
We have changed the way we schedule appointments. We have you call and schedule a time of the week that is most convenient for you.
Diabetes Educators have been added to the teams and are taking a more active role in care.
We are asking you to set goals you can reach easily and develop a plan of care with your provider. It is important for you to be involved in your health care decisions.
Our focus is healthy living and disease prevention.
We monitor your satisfaction with services we provide by asking you to respond to monthly surveys.
Please take time to fill these surveys out! We make changes to improve your care as a result of your responses.
Be a part of the team! Take better care of you by using this handy checklist:
- Make a list of your health questions. Ask a friend or relative for help if you need it.
- Bring all your medications in their original containers. Be sure to include prescription, over-the-counter, natural, and herbal medicines and vitamins.
One you get to your appointment:
- Talk with your team about your health questions. Share the successes and challenges you have had with your health care.
- Tell your team how you feel about the care you are receiving from them.
- Follow the plan you and your health team have worked out for you. Make sure you understand and follow the plan.
- Set goals you can reach.
- If you are having trouble sticking with your care plan, tell your team about it. Call whenever you have questions or concerns about your health.
You and your health care are at the center of your medical home team.